Museum arrangement

The Museum is arranged in four sections: 

The first area, The Free Press Room, focuses on First Amendment issues.  It features a more than century-old copy of the Fredericktown weekly, which then was aptly named the Fredericktown Free Press. Its motto, in 1877:  “Free Press, Free Speech, Free People.”  Also featured are the Free Press’s famous 1879 “Calico Edition”; a video of late Museum co-founder Rarick W. Long, describing highlights of his 35 years as publisher of Fredericktown’s former weekly newspaper, The Knox County

Citizen; a video of how a hot-lead typesetting machine works: and a show of historic Knox County Citizen photos. It’s also a place to sit and talk.














































To contact us:

Phone or Text: 917-693-7664
Fax: 212-253-4083

The Main Street Free Press Museum

The Main Street Free Press Museum

     For Press Freedom at the Grass Roots

Museum visitors view historical news photographs.

Museum visitors observe The Letterpress Print Shop.

The third area is The Letterpress Print Shop.  Its presses printed The Knox County Citizen and thousands of “jobs” that reflected the life and times of the village and the nation.  Among the items printed by Rarick Long and his family over the years were instructions for the Sears, Roebuck cement mixers that were manufactured in Fredericktown; factory time cards; sale bills; posters—and bacon wrappers for Zolman’s, the local farm market.  On the same aged Babcock cylinder press on which the bacon wrappers were printed, the Longs also printed the nation’s pre-eminent literary journal, The Kenyon Review.

The second area, The Main Street Room, honors the institution of the small-town newspaper, and displays historical front pages, photographs and artifacts, as well as examples of printing produced on the site.  The room also provides a window to view the operation of the next area.

The fourth area, The Lyman Wright Room, added in 2017 on the Museum’s second floor, displays historical newspaper front pages of the region and nation, including the Museum’s new introductory exhibit of The Tom Palmer Collection of historical American and worldwide newspapers.

The room honors the name of the landmark 1836 building that the Museum occupies, preserves and protects.  The building was officially designated a national treasure by its listing on the National Register of Historic Places on Nov. 6, 1979.